Session 2022 Wrap-Up!
We are so proud of the accomplishments of all of our partners this Session. It has been an honor to be a part of the passion and dedication you put into this Session's legislation. There is so much to celebrate! Here is the wrap-up of our priorities this Session:
1. SB691/HB459- Omnibus Youth Justice Reform Package
Passed with amendments.
2. SB53/HB269- Juvenile Law- Child Interrogation Protection Act
Veto overridden! Passed! Maryland will have one of, if not the strongest law protecting kids in police custody.
3. SB119/HB84- Crimes on School Grounds
Unfortunately did not pass. We will reintroduce this bill next Session.
SB509/HB481- Drug Paraphernalia for Administration- Decriminalization
We are disappointed that Fergusson did not give his support for paraphernalia decriminalization.
Thank you to the medical professionals and community members who signed letters and urged senators.
SB669/HB626- Pregnant Person's Freedom Act
Did not pass
Only one abortion access bill passed this year and it was HB937- Abortion Cares Access Act, which passed after veto override. We are thrilled to see abortion become more accessible in Maryland through this legislation.
1. SB66- Labor and Employment - Hiring - Education Requirements (Give Me A Chance - Job Opportunities Act of 2022)
Passed! College degrees will no longer be required for most public sector positions within the state government!
2. SB275/HB8- Labor and Employment – Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program – Establishment (Time to Care Act of 2022)
3. SB554/HB158- Maryland New Start Act of 2022
4. SB704/HB1011- Conditions of Pretrial Release - Home Detention Monitoring - Alterations and Extension
Passed with amendment. Coverage has been decreased from the initially proposed 3 years to 1 year.
5. HB38- Maryland Transportation Authority - Video Tolls - Collection & HB38 Maryland Transportation Authority - Video Tolls - Collection
Passed! Allows persons to challenge unjust toll fees
6. SB452/HB349- Small Claims - Examination in Aid of Enforcement and Interrogatories in Aid of Execution - Prohibition
Passed! This bill removed incarceration for the inability to pay back small debts (<$5,000)
HB655- Motor Vehicle Laws - Decarcerate Driving Uninsured
SB884/HB1293: Driver’s Licenses – Suspension for Child Support Arrearages – Exception
SB710 (REDEEM Act)- Criminal Procedure - Expungement of Records - Modifications
Congratulations to all of our partners!